I struggle often to contain my sweet tooth. There are just too many delicious things to eat. But in deference to my doctor and my future health, I try to be good and find recipes that will satisfy my sugar cravings without destroying my sugar levels, and this recipe does that with the bonus of being gluten free for those who have gluten sensitivities.
It’s that time of year: the holidays are over, and it is time to rethink your life, right? January is traditionally the time when resolutions are made with the best of intentions. Alas, as early as January 17th there is a holiday known as “Ditch New Year’s Resolutions” Day. Most people have already given up on resolutions by mid-winter, so this year let’s try something a little different. Instead of making a huge, hard resolution, make small changes that you can keep going throughout the whole year. Want to start with something easy, maybe a healthy breakfast? I am here to help!
Meal prep is a great way to help yourself out and keep on the right track. I have rediscovered the majestic simplicity of a prepped and delicious smoothie. I love being able to just run to the freezer and grab a bag of pre-measured, pre-cut fruit and pre-measured frozen yogurt. Pop it the blender and add some juice, and breakfast is done. The following is one of my favorites but feel free to have fun and experiment with new combinations. Many smoothie aficionados love bananas for the creaminess they add, so feel free to add some to this recipe. Again, experiment! Happy blending and Happy New Year!
Very Berry Smoothie
Makes one 16oz smoothie
- 2 cups of assorted frozen berries
- ¾ cup of pre-frozen unsweetened Greek yogurt (I use ice cube trays to pre-freeze and easily portion.)
- 1 tsp of chosen sweetener (I like honey.)
- 1 cup of liquid (I like low-carb juice, but milk, almond milk or coconut water will all work.)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend using the smoothie button if your blender has one, or blend until your smoothie reaches desired consistency. (I like mine a little thicker.)
- Pour into a cup and add a straw.