I now appreciate more and more the deliciousness of the majestic chimichanga smothered in smooth Baja sauce. Baja sauce is a creamy, slightly spicy magical concoction I have spent way too much money over the years.
I am always excited for summer. I love the hot weather, I love the pool, I love not waking up early for seminary with the kids, and I love vacation. Part of all of that is countless BBQs and days lazing around and swimming.
Every year our family heads up to little Lander, Wyoming, for Pioneer Days and the 4th of July. Lander is a world apart. A town of about 7,500 people, they go all out for America’s birthday—and that includes food.
Our favorite meal memory is our 4th of July picnic lunch. This past year I found the perfect summer appetizer: deviled eggs with brilliant colors. Add this to your summer BBQ and think of your favorite place to spend the 4th of July.
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup vinegar, divided
- Food coloring
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add eggs and cover with water 2″ above eggs. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- When water reaches a boil, cover pot and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Place pot in sink and add cold water. Add ice. Leave eggs in pot until completely cooled.
- Peel each egg and slice in half lengthwise and remove yolks to medium bowl and set aside.
- In four cups, add 1/2 cup water to each. Stir in 10 drops of food coloring and 1 tablespoon vinegar to each cup until completely dissolved.
- Add egg whites to cup and allow to sit until the desired color is reached. The longer the egg white is in the dye, the more vibrant the resulting color will be.
- Remove dyed egg whites to wire rack over plate to dry completely.
- With a fork, mash yolks until smooth. Add mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar and cayenne pepper. Stir together until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pipe yolk mixture into colored egg whites.
- Garnish filled eggs. Popular garnishes include more paprika, bacon, olives and chives.