Want a name to take to the temple? All you need is a phone*, an app, and a few seconds. That’s all it takes for the FamilySearch Family Tree app to find ordinances that are available for temple work for your ancestors.
Ordinances Ready will search your Family Tree, as well as temple reservation and shared lists, to find available ordinances for people to whom you are related. According to FamilySearch, it instantly “verifies that the person: is related to you, was born at least 110 years ago, has chronologically consistent birth and death dates…and is not a duplicate.”
Here’s all you have to do:
- Download the FamilySearch Family Tree app and sign in with your LDS account login. The home screen will pop up.
- iPhone Users: Select the temple icon at the bottom.
- Android Users: Select the menu bar in the upper left corner. Then choose Temple. (If you already have ordinances reserved, you’ll see them listed.)
- Tap on the green Ordinances Ready button and a box labeled Select Ordinance Type appears. Choose the ordinance you want to complete, then an ancestor from the list that appears.
- Print the card to take to the temple or write down the Family Ordinance Request (FOR) number for each ordinance to print after you arrive.
The Ordinances Ready app is designed to be used practically on-the-go. Going to the temple and need a name? Done. Take that name to the temple on your very next visit. (Some reservations might expire after 90 days.) If you need multiple names for a group, encourage others to download the app, because only a few ordinances will be generated at a time per person.
If the app happens to search your personal tree for an available ordinance and comes up empty, it will find ordinance reservations from the temple inventory. This way, anyone using it will find a name.
The power of the new Ordinances Ready feature rests with each of us. The more we are involved in family history and add names to our collective family trees, the more information there will be for making ordinances for the dead available. Take advantage of record hints to complete your ancestors’ personal details. Help with indexing, thus making records available for others to complete their family trees.
* The new Ordinances Ready feature can also be used on a desktop computer.
ROOTSTECH 2019: This amazing event wrapped up on March 2. Check out https://www.rootstech.org/ to catch up on all the fabulous classes and presentations!