I now appreciate more and more the deliciousness of the majestic chimichanga smothered in smooth Baja sauce. Baja sauce is a creamy, slightly spicy magical concoction I have spent way too much money over the years.
I love carbs. As a diabetic, I do not get to eat nearly as many carbs as I’d like—so when I am going to splurge, I splurge big. For me there is no better splurge than a deliciously warm pretzel straight out of the oven. Pretzels may sound tough, but this is a super fun and simple recipe.
Recipe adapted from Alton Brown’s Good Eats
- 12 ounces of warm water, approximately 110 degrees
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 ¼ teaspoons or ¼ ounce of active dry yeast
- 22 ounces of all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces of butter, melted
- 6 cups of water
- ½ cup of baking soda
- 1 beaten egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- Pretzel salt or coarse sea salt as needed
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine water, sugar, salt in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top and allow to foam for about 5 minutes.
- Add melted butter and flour into mixer, and mix with dough hook for about 4 minutes. The dough will ball up and help clean the sides of the bowl for you—that’s a good sign.
- Spray a mixing bowl and transfer the dough to that bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and proof in a warm environment for up to an hour.
*Baking tip: Spray the top of the dough with pan spray before wrapping in plastic wrap. This prevents the dough from sticking to the plastic wrap.
- Once your dough has proofed, bring water and baking soda to a quick boil to dissolve, then turn off.
- Portion the dough into 170g for pretzels, 85g for buns. Shape as you wish—perhaps a heart for Valentine’s Day or a clover for St. Patty’s!
- Dip your pretzels into the baking soda solution and let sit for about 10-15 seconds. Transfer soaked pretzels onto a baking steel with parchment paper or baking stone or parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with egg mixture and coat with pretzel salt.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes until golden brown, and rest for about 3 minutes.